Cross platform systems software
Case Study – Software Solutions for Connected Devices"Grow revenues with innovative custom solutions based on Cross-platform, Inter-connected Technologies." Situation
Our client, a pioneer in inkless print technology, conceptualized a wireless solution that would enable designing and printing of high resolution, custom sized graphic prints on-the-go.
Celstream’s more than a decade expertise in providing technology consultation and solution engineering services along with extensive know-how of emerging technologies convinced the client to choose us as its development partner. Celstream was entrusted with the end-to-end responsibility of design, development and integration of the solution, including its key hardware controller elements, device drivers, design studio software for desktops and mobile devices, and a Drupal based CMS for managing digital assets.Challenges
- Integration of components based on disparate technologies
- Device based on a dual board architecture (Linux and Android OS based on ARM Cortex)
- Re-skinning of Android OS
- Multiple print channels and protocols
- Graphic arts design software for desktops and mobile devices
- Digital Storefront integrated with payment gateways for purchase of digital assets
- Certifications and compliance requirements from different standards bodies
- Concurrent, multi-site development of varied components
- Highly agile program with evolving requirements based on regular market feedback
- Use of innovative and unproven technologies such as the new rechargeable battery for a portable Wi-Fi device
- Improve the device performance to provide a rich user experience and to support advanced features
- Validation of the integrated solution for real life usage
Celstream’s team of technology experts collaborated with the customer to develop a detailed understanding of the requirements. An initial prototype was developed for review from the customer’s marketing team and based on their inputs the final requirements were derived. The key highlights of the engagement include:
- Designing of a new hardware board based on ARM processor to support front panel, Wi-fi and network protocols functionalities. The dual board implementation improved the performance of the printer.
- Implementation of UPnP, Bonjour and AirPrint protocols, and port listeners for 9100 and USB for printing. The solution implementation also included first-to-market Google Cloud Print stack for cloud-based direct prints. The stacks were certified by Apple for Bonjour and AirPrint.
- Driver development was based on Celstream’s Background Technology which enabled quick building of the core software and addition of the print workflow. The drivers were tested comprehensively using automated test suites and certified for Microsoft’s Windows Hardware Certification (WHQL).
- Development of the graphic art design software for desktops and mobile OS. The application, across the platforms, uses rich & consistent UI and seamlessly adapts to the requirements and behavior of the regular desktop and mobile platforms – mouse & keyboard versus touch & swipe; large screen versus smaller & varying screen sizes. The mobile apps also integrate with payment gateways for in-app purchases.
- Setting up of a Drupal-based content management system with custom plugins and themes. The solution was also integrated with PCI-compliant Fosdick payment gateway
- Controller board design for Android™ OS, and integration with Linux® Kernel
- Raster based print device drivers for Windows® and Mac® OS
- Universal binaries and sandbox compliant drivers to support Mac OS from 10.5 to 10.8
- Supports UPnP™, USB, Bonjour®, AirPrint™ and Google Cloud Print™ for device discovery, configuration and printing
- Drupal™-based Content Management System with custom developed plugins
- Integrated and deployed on AWS™ with Amazon Elastic Beanstalk™, Amazon S3™ Storage, and Amazon RDS™
- FOSDICK Payment Gateway integration for desktop and mobile. In-app purchase options for mobile solutions
- Windows (WHQL) and Apple® Certifications
- PCI DSS Compliance
- An innovative solution that enhanced the competitiveness of the customer in the market and enabled additional revenue streams
- A fully integrated ecosystem for seamless and consistent end-user experience
- Practice of agile methodologies ensured client’s teams could experience developed features early, provide feedback on a regular basis, and assess project progress continuously
- Automation and continuous build techniques to accelerate development and testing, yet protecting integrity
In developing this solution, Celstream used the following key software tools and technologies: